You should try this.. Once you do, I promise you will never go back to getting that pre-packed red curry paste from your grocery store. Thai curries, like curries from all parts of the world, are always made from fresh ingredients.
You can always tell if a curry was made with freshly ground spices and herbs, from its texture, smell and taste. Most curries start with grinding the paste or masala, which gives the curry its wholesome flavor. That is Step 1. Once you’ve mastered Step 1, it is quite easy to put a curry together and change it to your taste. My Red Curry Paste is the vegan version of the recipe from http://www.thaifoodmaster.com. This is an amazing website for Authentic and even forgotten Thai Recipes.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Chillies were introduced to Thai cooking during the late 1600s by Portuguese missionaries. Overpowering pure spices were toned down and enhanced by fresh herbs such as lemon grass and galangal. Eventually, fewer and less spices were used in Thai curries, while the use of fresh herbs increased.
- Lemongrass treats digestive tract spasms, stomachache, high blood pressure, convulsions, pain, vomiting, cough, achy joints (rheumatism), fever, the common cold, and exhaustion. It is also used to kill germs and as a mild astringent.
|Long Dried Red Chillies||15||Reduce to 5 for a mild curry paste|
|Salt||1/2 tsp||Authentic version uses fish sauce|
|Galangal (Diced)||2 tbsp|
|Lemongrass (Chopped)||3 stalks|
|Lime Zest||1 lime||Authentic version uses kaffir lime zest|
|Coriander Root (Chopped)||3 stalks|
|Fresh Garlic Cloves (Minced)||4 tbsp|
|Shallots (Diced)||2 tbsp||Or use red onion|
|Fermented SoyBean Paste||1 1/2 tsp||Authentic version uses fermented shrimp paste|
- Soak the red chilies in water till soft and drain the water. Use warm water to soak, if you are in a hurry.
- Grind all ingredients to a uniform paste, adding as little water as possible. (Traditionally, mortar and pestle was used.)
- The paste is best when used fresh. You can also pack it in an airtight jar and refrigerate for up to 1 month. Now, you have the power to make any type of Thai red curry in less than 30 minutes!