Creamy Coconut, spicy hot chillies with the bursting freshness of lemon grass and basil. Can you imagine tasting all those flavors in a single bite? You can’t? Now, you have no other option but to try this curry.
Will you be believe me if i told you that this recipe is based on the earliest Thai recipe for green curry? Yes, This is a modified version of the green curry recipe from Thaifoodmaster who took this recipe from the 1926 cookbook, “khuu meuu maae kruaa”. Can it get more authentic than that?
DID YOU KNOW?
- Galangal gives curries a peppery sharpness. Too much galangal and a curry will be slightly astringent, overwhelming the back upper palate with a rasping dryness; too little, the curry will have no depth on length on the plate.
- Lemongrass herb has numerous health benefiting essential oils, chemicals, minerals and vitamins that are known to have anti-oxidant and disease preventing properties.
Serves: 4 Adults
|Paste (To Grind)|
|Green Chillies (Bird’s eye)||1/4 cup|
|Galangal (chopped)||11/2 tbsp|
|Lemongrass (chopped)||1/3 cup|
|Lime zest||1 tbsp|
|Coriander Root (chopped) (yes, you read it right! it is the root)||2 tbsp|
|Shallots (chopped)||3 tbsp|
|Garlic (Chopped)||3 tbsp|
|Soy Bean Paste||1/2 tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Coconut Milk||13/4 cup|
|Lime Zest||1 lime|
|Palm Sugar||1 tbsp|
|Cumin Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Vegetables (Bamboo Shoots, Green Beans, Green Chillies, Thai Eggplant)||1 cup each|
|Thai Basil (tightly packed)||1 cup|
- Before chopping Lemon grass – Peel off and discard the outer coarse sheaths, tough base & roots and stringy top third of the stalk.
- Now grind all the ingredients under “To Grind” to a uniform paste, with as little water as possible. I ended up using 1/3 cup of water. It is very essential, for the paste to have a uniform texture.
- Heat a pot on medium heat and add oil.
- When oil is hot, add 1/4 cup of green curry paste. Once the water boils out, the paste will start getting fried.
- Add 1/4 cup of coconut milk 1 tbsp at a time. This is important, as it helps coconut milk separate into oil and cream. The oil fries the paste and the cream gives substance – similar to clarifying butter.
- When oil oozes out (in around 5 min), add 3/4 cup of coconut milk.
- Add lime zest, palm sugar, cumin powder, coriander powder, vegetables. Cover and cook till the vegetables are done (around 10-20 minutes).
- You can always add 1/2 pound meat along with the vegetables and cook till done. Usually chicken or beef is added.
- Add rest of the coconut milk (3/4 cup) and a cup of tightly packed Thai basil.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes.
Serve the Green curry with Sticky Rice/Jasmine Rice.