The smell and taste of freshly ground curry powder is just incomparable to store-bought ones.
Have you ever wondered what is the difference between Madras curry powder and Jamaican curry powder? It is the magic spice of Jamaica – Allspice, which gives its unique flavor when combined with loads of turmeric powder.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Pimento berry popularly known as allspice is called so because it contains the characteristic flavor and aroma of clove, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper all combined in one spice. Jamaica is the chief producer for pimento.
- Heterocyclic amines (HCAs) and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are chemicals formed when meat is cooked using high-temperature methods. These cause changes in DNA that may increase the risk of cancer. But, researchers now know that turmeric helps prevent formation of HCAs in grilled meat. About 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric per 3.5 ounces of meat was used to produce this helpful outcome in one study.
|Coriander Seeds||4 tbsp|
|Cumin Seeds||2 tbsp|
|Yellow Mustard Seeds||1 tbsp|
|Whole Allspice||1 tbsp|
|Whole Black Pepper||1 tbsp|
|Fennel Seeds||1 tsp|
|Fenugreek Seeds||1 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||5 tbsp|
|Ginger Powder||1 tbsp|
|Garlic Powder||1 tbsp|
- Dry roast all the whole spices (not the powders) on low heat. Be cautious not to burn them.
- Blend in a spice grinder with turmeric, ginger and garlic powder.
- Now you are all set to make Jamaican curries like curry goat, curry chicken, curry shrimp etc.